Therefore, as the European industry and main tech-players are still too dependent on foreign countries, the EU Chips Act aims to achieve international interdependency, with balanced partnership on initiatives of mutual interest, as necessary step forward for the European industry and the field of Semiconductor to ensure:
- A reliable global marketplace for European products
- Security of supply, including in crisis situations.
To achieve the need for balanced semiconductor partnerships with like-minded countries, the objectives of the EU Chips Act are the following:
- To strengthen its research and technology leadership
- To build and reinforce its own capacity to innovate in the design, manufacturing and packaging of advanced chips
- To put in place an adequate framework to increase substantially its production capacity by 2030
- To address the acute skills shortage
- To develop an in-depth understanding of the global semiconductor supply chains.